Saturday, December 13, 2008

Driving back to TX from Burbank

Ned and Andy drove Carla's BMW Z4 convertible back to Texas from Burbank. Les and Carla are moving back to TX, and have more cars than they have drivers. All the times in the pictures are TX time.

Safety first, so I buckled Ned into his seatbelt. We pulled out of the parking garage in Burbank at 10:00 pm.
We stopped for dinner at Mc'Donalds. Took FOREVER, would have backed out of the drive through, except another car pulled in behind us. We lost at least 10 minutes there.

We crossed into Arizona at 3:13 am. Stopped for gas and coffee.

We stopped at ASU stadium at 5:30 am. Not a very clear picture, but it was dark, and we could not get any closer.
We stopped at a Starbucks right after taking this picture. This would be the first (of several) quad venti mochas today.

Stopped at a Cracker Barrel just before sunup. They make a pretty good egg, cheese and bacon sandwich. Got some more coffee and OJ.
By 8:06, we were at the University of Arizona. Finally, the sun is up.

We entered the "Land of Enchantment" at 10:17 am.
Stopped in a little gas station, bought some coffee, filled up the tank. Had a moment of panic when neither of the gift cards Carla gave us worked. Bought gas out of our own money. Figured, if the cards don't work, we have enough gas money to make it to about Fort Stockton. Not good.

Passed the highest point along our journey, the continental divide. I poured out my cold coffee here. The first half, I poured on the west side. That coffee is slowly making it's way toward the Pacific Ocean. The second, I poured on the east side. THAT coffee is slowly making it's way towards the Gulf of Mexico. Or, that's the theory, at least.

And, finally, Texas. 12:39 pm. Here's just how big TX is. We were half way home. We had driven through part of CA , all of AZ and NM, and were only halfway home.
We stopped at the UTEP stadium at 1:06 pm. Took a little while to find, since it was not on the original iteneray.
Then, another quad venti mocha and we hit the road.
I did not get a picture of it, but we pulled into my driveway at 9:50 pm. Twenty one hours, fifty minutes after we left the hotel. That may not be a record, but it was for me. And Ned got to see a lot of the country.

No comments: